Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday 16 September 2015

Creating Your Fountain of Youth



As Ponce de Leon explored Florida for the miraculous Fountain of Youth, little did he realize that he already possessed everything necessary to provide him with long-lasting health. He chose some paths of danger that lessened his heartiness such as exploring in the wilds and missing out on some excellent nutrition as he sailed and searched, but he did have some elements right. My Fountain of Youth contains five very important facets: friendships, curiosity, exercise, nutrition, and inspiration. While sometimes just the right food is missing or I cannot exercise because of sniffles, overall everything I need is within reach, within my heart and soul.
The first and most important ingredient is friendships. Now I realize that as a writer I should save the best until last, but in this case friendship is the foundation. Without loving parents, good siblings, caring spouses, dedicated children, trustworthy friends, and great co-workers or a mixed combo, life is in a pretty sorrowful state. From conception through old age, healthy relationships of love and kindness build and sustain us. These friendships offer warmth, advice, shelter, and longevity. Loneliness is isolating and destructive; rich friendships are powerful and motivational.
A curious mind is the next requirement for good health. You must think and design and wonder and hold your breath in awe to keep the mind working at a high level of proficiency and grace. Reading and research build connections; conversation extends knowledge; study increases neuron firings and synapse construction. Using your brain every day in myriad situations and conditions strengthens every ounce of being. The mind is an amazing asset.
Next you must exercise. Just as you expand the power of your mind, you must empower the body with activities that increase blood flow to move oxygen to every cell and extremity. I prefer running (actually jogging!) because I can be out-of-doors, I can scale hills and descend valleys, I can cruise through nature or hop through neighborhoods. I am free, at peace, alone in gracious solitude, and I am physically and mentally enabled. Running permits time for thinking and for awe, for improving my health while also enjoying bursting sunrises, scampering bunnies, and friendly "Hellos" from other runners and walkers.
To maintain my mind and body I need to eat well. I have always been conscious of good food as well as yummy chocolate and sugary sweets. Having had a short bout with anorexia (until a friend scared me straight) I have fretted over my weight throughout my life. Running has helped me keep calories in focus as extra weight is always a drag, and clearing my mind and centering on nutrition has helped me keep to good eating habits: fruit, vegetables, whole grains, and calcium-rich foods. Having changed to vegetarianism a year ago, I have had to realign my eating to insure that I also consume adequate protein, a concern with most vegetarians. I still love chocolate and there are few items sweeter than ice cream but I also pay attention to healthy intake as well.
And finally I need daily inspiration, that zipping and clipping that sends my heart and mind swirling and soaring to do good, to make a difference, and to help others. I volunteer in schools because kids are enlightening and brighten my day. I work with caregivers who have a loved one with Alzheimer's disease because I sense their pain having lost my mother and my sister to this horrendous, incurable disease. I write to express my deepest thoughts and feelings and that also helps me organize and evaluate them to set them into good order. I chat with family and friends, offer services to others, and try to live a good and pure life. I must admit I do gripe about things I cannot fix, and then remind myself that these are out of my control, and I do sometimes say negative things about people and events knowing that my gossipy mode is non-productive, but overall I try to live with honest, integrity, purpose, and authenticity.
These last four character traits are huge, almost to the point of being overwhelming, but all are critical to living a good life. I add them to my life and to my style of living along with those five essential ingredients: friendship, curiosity, exercise, nutrition, and inspiration. With this glorious combination I can accomplish anything. They create my own Fountain of Youth!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8991473